CCSD is the ninth-largest school system in Georgia, with 44 schools and centers and more than 41,000 students enrolled for the 2015-16 school year.
• CCSD is one of the first school districts in the Nation to achieve “District Accreditation as a Quality School System” from Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Council on Accreditation and School Improvement (SACS CASI); CCSD was re-accredited for another five years in November 2011.
• The average SAT Score for CCSD’s Class of 2015 is 1560, which continues the School District’s ranking in the top five out of the 180 school systems in Georgia. CCSD’s average SAT score margin is 70 points over the National average and 110 points over the State average.
• CCSD’s Class of 2015 continued to outscore both National and State averages on the ACT – and earned the second highest average score in Metro Atlanta — even as more students took the college entrance and placement exam… participation has increased by 56% in the past year.
• The Class of 2015 not only exceeded National and State averages on rigorous Advanced Placement (AP) exams, but CCSD as a whole earned the third-highest passage rate in Georgia with a passage rate of 73% among the 4,125 tests administered in 26 courses in the spring of 2015…and the number of exams taken by CCSD students has increased 83% in the last five years alone.
• The School District is one of only six school systems in Georgia to earn a spot on the 2015 Sixth Annual AP District Honor Roll, a National list of the 425 school systems that have achieved the greatest success in maintaining or improving the rate of students passing the exams while also increasing student participation. This marks CCSD’s third consecutive appearance on this prestigious list! Seventy-three percent of CCSD students who took an AP exam in 2015 passed, as compared to the National average of 55% and State average of 58%.
• CCSD’s high schools all have been named AP Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) or AP STEM Achievement Schools.
• CCSD’s high schools all have been named to The Washington Post’s list of “America’s Most Challenging High Schools.”
• CCSD for its innovations in academic school choice has twice won National recognition from the MAGNA Award Program presented by American School Board Journal recognizing outstanding academic programs that advance learning… most recently in 2015 for its Cherokee Academies initiative.
• CCSD is a Top 10 District in the Nation for technology use in 2015… the 10th appearance for CCSD on this elite list from the National Digital School District Survey.
• CCSD is one of only 14 school systems in the Nation to be named a 2015 U.S. Department of Education Green Ribbon School District Sustainability Award winner for exemplary efforts to reduce environmental impact and utility costs, promote better health, and ensure effective environmental education, including civics and green Career Pathways.